Fun Facts about Phosphoric Acid (Chemical in Coca Cola)
- Phosphoric acid gives colas their tangy flavor.
- Phosphoric acid is more acidic than lemon juice or vinegar! Large amounts of sugar are needed to mask and balance the acidity. (The average American consumes 300 times more sugar daily than in 1900!)
- Food-grade phosphoric acid is a mass-produced chemical, available cheaply and in large quantities.
- Phosphoric acid is commonly used for rust removal.
- Phosphoric acid has been linked to lower bone density.
- Aside from the risk of osteoporosis, cola consumption has also been linked to chronic kidney disease and kidney stones.
There is some who argue that the amount of phosphoric acid in colas in not enough to cause you to stop drinking them. Either way the large amount of sugar and food coloring is reason enough to not drink colas.